If you live in Connecticut or wish to live and work there, Zippia and Career Infonet are solid resources to consult about the best-rated and biggest companies in Connecticut, especially in healthcare, transportation, and information technology. Zippia has information about the 100 largest companies in the state, highlighting the 10 biggest companies, while Infonet has information on the largest employers with under 10,000 employees. Both sites offer companies’ web links to garner more information.
Here is Zippia’s ten biggest and best in Connecticut.
- United Technologies. Of the 100 biggest companies in Connecticut, UT is ranked first. Once the United Aircraft Corporation and United Technologies Corporation, the company was originally founded in 1934 and provides services in aerospace products, plus defense contracting. Headquartered in Farmington, it merged with Raytheon in 2020, which is located in Waltham, Massachusetts. It has 240,000 employees, servicing the aerospace and defense industries. UTI is located in the Americas, Europe, Australia, and Asia.
- XPO Logistics. A worldwide leader in the transportation industry, XPO handles transportation and 3rd-party logistics in 32 countries, servicing over 50,000 customers; and provides supply-chain solutions. It was founded in 1989, headquartered in Greenwich, and employs 100,000 people. XPO services the United States, Asia, Europe, and Chile.
- Amphenol Corporation. Amphenol, an electronics industry giant, is a producer of electronic and fiberoptic connectors, along with cable and interconnect systems. It also offers antenna technology insight. Founded in 1932, it is headquartered in Wallingford, with 70,000 employees. It is in Connecticut’s Fortune 500; and has locations in Europe, the Americas, and Asia.
- Otis Elevator Company. Founded by Elisha Otis in 1853, the Otis Elevator Company is well-recognized in the transportation industry. It manufactures, markets, and develops elevators, escalators, and moving walkways. Otis is headquartered in Farmington and employs 68,078. It is among the US’s top 100 companies to work for, with locations across the country.
- Stanley Black and Decker. Stanley Black and Decker is a Fortune-500 company in the Manufacturing industry, headquartered in New Britain. It manufactures industrial tools and household hardware, along with providing security products and locks. Founded in 1843, Stanley employs 61,000 people across 60 countries and is a leader in tools, storage, and electronic security. It is ranked the 3rd-best company to work for in the state.
- Aetna. Founded in 1853, Aetna is well-recognized in the healthcare industry. It provides managed healthcare, selling traditional and ‘consumer-directed’ insurance. Related services are pharmaceutical, dental, and behavioral health. Aetna is headquartered in Hartford and employs 49,828 workers. Aetna ranks 41st-best healthcare company to work for, and first in Conn. It serves North America, Africa, Europe, and Asia.
- Cigna. Cigna, a noted name in the Insurance industry, began in 1982 and specializes in global health service, serving 95 million customers. It is headquartered in Bloomfield with 46,000 employees; including teleworking options. Cigna was voted both the best Fortune-500 company to work for in the state and the best insurance company. Cigna has locations in the US, Europe, New Zealand, and Asia.
- Carrier Co. Carrier is a brand of UTC Climate, Controls and Security and is headquartered in Farmington. A Fortune-500 leader in the Transportation industry, Carrier offers heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration solutions, ensuring safe food-supply transport. Carrier employs 45,000 people and was 13th on America’s list of top companies to work for, as well as first in Connecticut. Founded in 1915, Carrier has locations across the United States.
- Western Connecticut Health Network. WCHN is a for-profit group of 3 western Connecticut hospitals, founded in 2010 and headquartered in Danbury. A private company in the healthcare industry, its mission is ” to improve the health of every person we serve through the efficient delivery of excellent, innovative and compassionate care.” It employs 38,000 and includes Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, and Norwalk Hospital. It was #18 on Connecticut’s Best Companies to Work for.
- Xerox. Well-known worldwide, Xerox is an American global corporation in the Information technology industry. It provides print and digital services (document solutions) in 160 countries. Founded in 1906, Xerox is headquartered in Norwalk; though most of its 35,300 employees work where it was founded, in Rochester, NY. Xerox is a regular in the Fortune 500 and ranks 9th on Connecticut’s list of best Fortune-500 companies.
Career Infonet’s smaller, ‘biggest’ employers range from hospitality to health care to finance and education.
Employee numbers range from 4,500 to 8,000. So, if you desire a ‘smaller’ company to work for, Career Infonet is the place to look. Here are the Top 10 of the ‘smaller’ biggest Connecticut companies.
- Pratt & Whitney. Located in Hartford, it employs 8,000 people and specializes in search, detection, and guidance of aeronautical instruments. It also works with aircraft manufacturing and transportation equipment.
- Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation. Sikorsky is in Stratford and specializes in aircraft manufacturing. It employs 7,000 people and assists with durable goods wholesalers and motor vehicle dealers.
- General Dynamics Electric Boats. This company employs 6,100 and is in the shipbuilding and repair industry.
- Hartford Hospital. This hospital services the General Medical & Surgical Hospitals industry and employs 6,053 people.
- Foxwood Resort and Casino. This resort is located in Mashantucket and serves the Traveler Accommodation industry. It also assists restaurants, hotels, fitness, and recreation centers. It employs 5,561.
- Eversource Energy. Eversource is in Berlin and employs 5,001. It specializes in Utility contractors for the Power & Communication Line/Related Construction Industry. Eversource also works in Electric power managing and consulting.
- Yale New Haven Health. Located in New Haven, with 5,001 workers, Yale specializes in Administrative Management and General Management Consulting. Auxiliary services include Ambulatory health care, surgical and emergency centers.
- Hartford Financial Services Group. The Hartford-based group employs 5,000 and serves insurance agencies and brokerages; along with providing investment advice.
- Waterbury Board of Education. Located in Waterbury, the Board serves in the Education industry and manages Elementary and Secondary schools. 5,000 are employed.
- St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center. This hospital is also located in Hartford and employs 4,545 people. It serves in the General Medical and Surgical Hospitals industry.
So, we hope our list of the biggest and best In Connecticut was helpful to you. Whether you wish to be with a corporate giant or a small finance company, Zippia and Career InfoNet will have resources for you. There are also website links for each company, to provide you with more information. Good luck!